A Comprehensive Collection of Irish Ancestry Resources
For the 33.3 million Americans who claim Irish ancestry, it can be an overwhelming task to sift through the plentiful Irish genealogy and family history resources available on and offline. In the spirit of Irish-American Heritage Month, we’ve decided to offer up a helping hand in your big Irish family research by compiling a list of 70 Irish ancestry resources so you can fill in some genealogy research gaps, and discover new Irish family stories that might be missing from your family tree.
From Irish surnames, to genealogy libraries and immigration records, it’s likely you’ll find a long lost Irish ancestor by utilizing the following resources.
How to Find Your Irish Ancestors: Irish Ancestry Resources
Irish Census Records
- The National Archives of Ireland: Census Records Search
- Census Finder: Ireland Census Records
- Census Online: Ireland Census Records
Irish Vital Records
- Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
- Irish Family History Foundation: Irish birth, death and marriage records.
- National Library of Ireland: Catholic Parrish Registers – Irish birth information prior to 1864.
- The General Register Office: Records Search – Irish birth, marriage and death records occurring since January 1, 1864.
- Origins.net Irish Wills Index 1484-1858
- Public Record Office of Northern Ireland: Will Calendar Search – Calendars cover Ireland as a whole up to 1917. After 1918, the calendars cover 26 counties in the Republic and indexes covering six counties of Northern Ireland.
- The National Archives of Ireland: Soldier’s Wills – A collection of Irish soldiers’ wills while serving in the British Army; most dating from World War I, with some from late 19th Century and South African War, 1899-1902.
Irish Church Records
- Church of Ireland Parish Registers
- Irish Times: Roman Catholic Parish Registers – Searchable map of parishes by county
- Irish Jewish Museum – Records of Ireland Jewish community.
- The Presbyterian Historical Society of Ireland – Registers of baptisms and marriages of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland.
Irish Military Service Records
- The Military Archives Irish Army Census Records
- Ireland’s World War I Veterans – A voluntary project that lists the names of World War 1 veterans from Ireland, 1914-1918. .
- The Bureau of Military History: Irish Military Archives – If one of your family members fought in the Irish War of Independence, search the Bureau’s records (1913-1921).
- British Army and Navy Personnel Records – For those searching for Irish family members who served in the British Army and Navy during the 19th Century and First World War.
Irish Immigration Records & Passenger Lists
- Irish Emigration Database – Compiled directly from original Ship’s Passenger Manifests with records of Irish, English, Scottish and Welsh immigrants arriving at US ports. Covers New York, 1846-1890; Boston, Baltimore, New Orleans and Philadelphia 1846-1851.
- Ireland-Australia Transportation Records – Transportation registers, prisoners’ petitions and cases, state prisoners’ petitions, convict reference files, free settlers’ papers, male convict register and register of convicts on convict ships from 1791-1853.
- U.S. Library of Congress: Irish Immigration – Original records, photographs, interviews and more for exploring the Irish immigrant experience in America.
- National Archives: Famine Irish Passenger Record Data File – 70 percent of this list of 604,596 people who arrived in the Port of New York 1846-1851 are from Ireland. Also includes the names of ships on whichthey arrived.
- Olive Tree Genealogy: Ships Passenger Lists
Irish Surname Search & Meanings
- 100 Irish Surnames Explained
- Irish Times Irish Surname Search
- Distribution of Surnames in Ireland, 1890
- Irish Surnames Forum
- An Atlas of Irish Names
Irish Newspapers, Magazines & Online Collections
- The Irish Times – Search all published content from 1859 to present day.
- Ireland Old News – Free online newspaper transcription database sorted by Irish county.
- Irish Roots Magazine – Trace and embrace your Irish ancestors with this helpful publication’s research tools.
- Irish Lives Remembered – A free, bi-monthly eMagazine dedicated to Irish ancestry.
- Northern Ireland Extracts – Free to search database by Eddie Connolly. Includes birth, marriage and death announcements from various Irish publications dating from 1825.
- Nick Reddan’s Newspaper Extracts (and Simon de Montfort’s Extracts) – Includes extracts from various Irish newspapers from 1720 to 1865 and references from Longford, Leitrim, Westmeath and Roscommon. Main family names covered include CROKER, COOTE, DREW and SWAN.
- UCD Library: Irish Newspaper Collection
- Irish Newspaper Abstracts
Irish Genealogy Libraries & Archives
- National Library of Ireland – Online catalogue searches offline and online material (33,000 photographic images included). click on “Family History Research” for a downloadable guide on getting your research started.
- Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives – The IGP Headstone Project is listed under the next section, but IGP’s volunteer effort offers a whole lot more in the archive department.
- National Library of Ireland: Irish Historic Photographs – Over 33,000 historic photographs available.
- Archives and Records Association: UK & Ireland
- Clare County Library: Genealogy
- Mayo County Library: Genealogy
- Library Ireland: Genealogy
- Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives
- Irish Photo Archive
Irish Graveyards, Monuments & Tombstones
- Ireland Cemetery Records
- Dublin Graveyards Directory
- Dromin (County Louth) Graveyard Inscriptions
- Irish Graves – A nice collection of photos of Irish-related graves.
- Irish Graveyards – Search for a specific grave or browse through the directory of Irish graveyards.
- Headstones in North County Mayo Ireland – Photos of all legible headstones from 79 cemeteries in North Mayo County.
- IGP Headstone Project – Over 70,000 Irish headstones.
- Irish Gravestone Photographs
- Irish Gravestone Records
- Billion Graves: Ireland
- Kerry Burials – Images of every graveyard in Co. Kerry.
- Irish War Memorials – Includes photos of memorials. *Note: The site does not record graves, only war memorials.
- Find A Grave
Irish Genealogical Societies & Associations
- Association of Professional Genealogists in Ireland
- Irish Family History Foundation
- Irish Genealogical Research Society – Dedicated to Irish genealogy since 1936, their site offers a plethora of free research tools including an early Irish marriage index with over 66,000 marriages from non-parish sources.
- Genealogical Society of Ireland
- The Irish Ancestral Research Association
- Irish Genealogical Society International
- North of Ireland Family History Society
Additional Irish Ancestry Resources
- As They Were – The latest happenings from Clare Roote Society Transcription Groups and general Irish news.
- Ireland Reaching Out (Ireland XO) – A volunteer-based, non-profit initiative which builds vibrant, lasting links between the global Irish Diaspora and parishes of origin in Ireland.
- Irish Genealogy Toolkit
- DigDat Irish Genealogy Website – A number of free and subscription Irish genealogy records including the only online place name database to include aliases and variant spellings (70,000 names and counting!).
- Limerick’s Life – Thousands of Limerick records from the Limerick Council & Limerick City graveyard transcriptions.
- Centre for Irish Genealogical and Historical Studies
- Thinking of Genealogy – Ireland
- Certificate of Irish Heritage
- Ireland Roots
- Eneclann – Irish genealogy and history research services.
- Emerald Ancestors
- Your Irish Roots – Irish genealogy, Irish surnames & Irish coat of arms resource.
- Irish Family Ancestry
- IGW Surname Databank – A small, donated list of Irish surname records.
- Index of Free Irish Genealogy eBooks
- Portable Genealogist: Problem Solving in Irish Research
- The Statue of Liberty – Ellis Island Foundation
Are there any Irish ancestry research resources missing from our list? Let us know in the comments!